Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What is at stake?



Stake, tr. Verb. To risk; at stake. In jeopardy.

I have been thinking about this as we frame our future. What is it that allows for us to produce extraordinary results? While there are many contributing factors, perhaps the most important is the way we listen. Which leads to breakthrough thinking. Which leads to extraordinary action. Which leads to amazing results for our mission.

For example, I would listen differently to a coach if I were training for an Olympic gold medal in speed skating than as an amateur spending an afternoon at the pond. Coaching makes a difference depending on how relevant or urgent or consequential I consider it to be – what I have at stake.

To maximize the results I produce, I must listen with something big at stake – something important enough to be worth the valuable time I am spending. I should ask myself, “If a real difference were possible here, in what area or on what issue or concern would I want an impact to be made?”

We're about saving lives, so everything we do matters. Every decision we make, every program we develop, every dollar we spend benefits our constituents. Deviating from this focus could have life-or-death consequences. Let’s make an impact every day by focusing 100 percent on constituent needs.

“Progress always involves risk; you can’t steal second base and keep your foot on first.” ~~Frederick Wilcox

2 comments:

  1. The exercise of reading, listening and commenting on this entire Manifesto makes me think of what is at stake.

    1) Our business relationship
    2) Our Trust in each other
    3) Our belief in each other
    4) The benefits i will obtain and the results i may possibly obtain in and while i revamp our organization. Meaning the benefits of thought and process, not monetary.
    5) The chance that this exercise will make me think even deeper if that is possible....and it already has.

    Michael, i am not 100% sure, but i hope you do realize what this manifesto is doing. If someone really truly sits down and goes through it and listens in order to improve themselves and their organizations and makes responses or notes as to their responses the benefits to them will be great and impactful so they can put it to use in many aspects in their organizations no matter what it is.

    I hope others realize it too. The key is listening to it inside your own thoughts and applying it honestly to what we are doing...or not doing.

    Thank you Michael, this really is awesome. I am enjoying it bigtime. :-))!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lance, thanks for all your great comments. I am glad it is making a difference.

    ReplyDelete