Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Are "A" players always promotable?

We've all been there. We have an amazing mid manager. They really get results. We promote them. They crash and burn. We all feel bad about it. How did we go wrong?

I am a big fan of Topgrading. Brad Smart is the guru. There is another way that prevents this scenario. Here are his latest thoughts.
Almost every leader I’ve interviewed has promoted people who were high performers in their current job, but failed when promoted. Years ago a popular business book was The Peter Principle (by Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull), a book that painfully documented how common it was to promote people to their level of incompetence. “She earned the promotion” made sense decades ago, and for years after The Peter Principle was released companies were more cautious -- people were NOT necessarily given promotions because they “deserved the chance.”

But in my recent experience, too many companies have fallen back into the Peter Principle trap and need a reminder.

Read more

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins
    to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good
    success. If you know of any please share. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. I am not an SEO expert so I apologize but I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you mind if I quote a several of your blogposts as long as I provide credit and sources returning
    to your webpage: http://businesstechnologypartner.

    wordpress.com/2012/11/21/are-a-players-always-promotable/.

    I'll aslo make sure to give you the proper anchor text hyperlink using your blog title: Are “A” players always promotable? « Business Technology Partner. Please make sure to let me know if this is acceptable with you. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time go to see at here and i am actually pleassant to read
    all at one place.

    ReplyDelete